It is not unusual for most of us to be a captive of our past or to be worried about our future. Most of us are worried about things that went wrong or about things that are going to happen. Worrying about things that are not in our control we tend to miss out on the joys of living in the present.
The only thing that we can control is what is happening currently. We only have the power over our present not our past neither our future. It is essential that we make a conscious effort to live in the present. It can be challenging initially however it is certainly not impossible. Let us look at the 5 steps on how to be present.
1. Get rid of the baggage: Most of us prefer to be prisoners of our past. We live in our past glory or past failures. It is important to get rid of our past baggage and move on to remain in present. It is a good idea to clear your personal space by removing things/objects that flood your memory with the past. Keep your home and office minimalistic and you will be able to stay in touch with the present moment instead of living in the past.
2. Start your day on a positive note: Life is busy and we tend to rush through without noticing small blessings in our day-to-day life. It is easy to find flaws however make a conscious effort to see small joys of life. Start your day on a positive note always. Affirm your positives and your strengths when you start your day and you will see the difference in your approach as the day progresses. Positive affirmations help you to overcome anxiety and your fear of the future. Meditate in order to be in peace with yourself
3. Focus on one thing at a time: Multi-tasking takes away the pleasure of doing any activity. If your aim is to stay present it is best that you focus on the job at hand instead of trying to do too many things in one go. Enjoy every activity that you do. Immerse yourself in the activity and you will yield successful results.
4. Learn the art of forgiving: Quite often we harbor resentment towards people who have hurt us. This grudge prevents us from living in the moment. We dwell over situations that have bought us grief and thus we become unhappy. To avoid the pain of the past, it is essential to forgive those who have hurt us. Forgiveness sets us free and lightens our heart. It allows us to focus on the present instead of the past.
5. Keep the child in you alive: Children are carefree because they live for the moment. They don’t let their failures bruise their egos. They get up and try again instead of brooding over their failures. Keep the child in you alive and you will learn to be present. Appreciate the beauty of small things around you.